Followers

Tuesday 22 September 2020

You learn something every day

As any followers of my blog may have  realised  that at the moment I am more hooked on Tattered Lace 3D die cutting than parchment crafting - temporarily I hope.

I have bought many collections - perhaps too many - and I am slowly trying them out for size. The latest being the die set for the 'Fancy Easel card'.

I saw this card on Pinterest:


I have no idea who made it so that I can give credit but I thought it amazing and I would like to have a go - was my thought.

It obviously uses the dies from the Fancy Easel set.  There are instructions on the Tattered Lace site for using this set but for an easel card and not one like the above.  Refusing to be daunted I started.  Can't be too difficult?

Here is the card I made and following are the things I learned.


The first thing I found out was that when the card is folded  I didn't like the appearance - the plain uncoloured back.

So I then had to print out some pretty paper, die cut to fit and then stick on.  The difficulty with this is that the folding of the card is always difficult if you have had to stick paper over the fold.  Here is a scan of the front and back.



I also then realised that the whole card was now very thick.  I had used my favourite linen card as the basic card but by the time I had added the fancy matts and the decoupage -  it was too thick.

So if I make another I know that I must use thinner card and print a colour or pattern to the back and possible the front as well.. That will save the fiddly extra time spent on die cutting the fancy paper to fit.    Even use thinner card for the fancy matts.

As this isn't an easel card an extra piece was needed between the two shaped ends because if these are fixed together as they are there isn't enough width for the middle shaped matts. The section with the silver jug vase and flowers.   This is where it got complicated to work out and increased the weight. 

It got to the stage where I had to decide whether to continue or abandon.  I did finish as you can see by the photo but if I attempt anything other than my usual 'square is a shape'  - I will think before I leap.

Be warned and have fun if you do try this one.

Carol

xx

2 comments:

  1. So pleased you persevered Carol, this is a beauty, love the shape the colours and the decoupage, an inspirational card

    ReplyDelete

Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and by providing their comment they have published their own personal details on this blog and also consented to our use of that personal information for that specific purpose.